Sunday, August 28, 2011

Dish 1 - Starting from a comfort Zone (Pav Bhaji)

I will start my journey from my home town Mumbai (King of street food) and an all time favorite from my childhood Pav Bhaji. I remember every year it was my birthday ritual that my mom will cook it for me. When I grew up I kept the ritual till I got married I would make this for my friends on my birthday.

Ingredients:

Onion 1 large
Tomato 2 pureed
Bell Pepper 1 small
Garlic 6 cloves
Ginger 1/2 inch
Butter little
Veggies cut 5 to 6 cups
(Cauliflower, Peas, Beans, Carrots, potatoes, broccoli, spinach (shocked), name it and add it – my strict no’s for cabbage, cucumber – doesn’t taste good in pav bhajji )

Everest Pav Bhaji Masala – 4 spoons
I would not make if I don’t have it. It is the BEST.

Oil 3 spoons
Cilantro
Salt
And Extra red Chilli powder (for my dear hubby)
Paavs as Required

Procedure:

Cut all the veggies very coarsely and put it to boil in pressure cooker with water covering veggies till top, a dash of salt and a pinch of turmeric. It should take around 30 minutes on medium flame or 3 whistle whichever is earlier.
Chop Onions separately and Garlic, Ginger, Green Chilies together.
Chop Bell Pepper.
Heat oil for 30 seconds in a pan. Add Ginger, garlic, onion, sauté for 2 minutes
Add onions and sauté till translucent.
Add bell pepper and saute for few minutes.
Add tomato paste or crushed tomato and cook till it leaves oil.
Now add the Pav Bhaji Masala
Drain the boiled veggies and keep water for later.
Mash the veggies and add it to the onion tomato gravy.
Mix well, add a bulb of butter, salt and little water reserve.
Simmer it and let it cook for good 10-15 minutes …and keep adding water as and when it evaporates.
Bhaji is ready
Now its turn to make bhaji extra spicy and get pav ready …
Heat tava…add a bulb of butter put a ladle of bhaji (and red chilli and extra pav bhaji masala for the person eating spicy). Mix it and remove in a plate.
Cut the pavs and put it on same tava where the bhaji was heated to give paav the taste.
Serve it hot. Repeat process for each plate …this enables to customize spice level ;)

Enjoy the delicious Pav Bhaji...I was lazy taking a photo. Will take a photo next time.

No comments: